I CAN ONLINE
Our Autistic-led online mentoring programs offer safe, supportive spaces where Autistic young people can connect with I CAN Mentors and peers to share interests and common experiences.
“We do fun activities and just support each other. It’s like another family.”
Nick, Online Mentee
online GROUP mentoring
We offer online group mentoring programs for 9 – 20-year-old Autistic people. Our programs have proven to build confidence and social connection in a safe environment. Autistic young people are able to be themselves and are met with acceptance, not judgement. I CAN Imagination Club®, our primary school program, has been designed specifically for participants aged 9 – 11 and is open to non-Autistic participants who may/ may not have a diagnosis or may be unaware of their diagnosis. Please see our KEY DETAILS pdf. for more information.
All our I CAN Mentors staff have completed our child protection training and hold current Working With Children Checks or Blue Cards.
1 hour x 6 sessions
The cycles dates for 2020:
14th September to 22nd October – Now closed
9th November to 17th December
Participants join a live video conference via ‘Zoom’. You will gain instant access to the video conference by clicking on each Zoom session link we provide you after you have completed the registration process.
$270 AUD for 6 x sessions
NDIS Self Managed/Plan Managed Accepted.
We cannot process NDIA/NDIS Managed Plans.
8 – 9 “mentees” join two I CAN mentors in a safe, engaging, supportive environment. Each team includes one Autistic mentor and in most instances, both are Autistic. All of our groups outlined below are offered on a mixed gender basis.
6:50-7:50pm (AEDT) LQBTQIA+ Ages 13-17
Screens, Tunes & Characters Interest-Based Group for:
PARENTS & CARERS
Not currently available
how to apply
To express interest for yourself or your young person, click on the “Expression of Interest” button to fill out our application form, including if you are an existing I CAN mentee and would like to re-enrol. For more information please see our KEY DETAILS pdf at the bottom of our Terms and Conditions. If you have any further questions, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and conditions
To participate you/ your young person need to be:
- Currently in one of the age groups specified and located in Australia.
- Aware that they are Autistic, unless participating in the I CAN Imagination Club® group.
- Comfortable engaging via online and understanding that this may provide some sensory challenges for individuals who are sound sensitive as the online environment may prove to be noisy in some sessions.
- Willing to take part in a group activity in the afternoon or evening (this can be difficult for some individuals who need significant “down time” in the evening, so please consider preferences and needs)
- Can attend the allocated day and time.
- Are aware that an Expression of Interest form has been submitted and is willing to participate.
- Understand that a cancellation policy is in place and is willing to accept its terms upon acceptance of a spot.
- Will need to be able to abide by our ICT terms and conditions which ensure online safety and positive cyber participation.
Nick – Online Mentee
“We do fun activities and check up on how we are going at school. It’s like another family.”
Melanie – Online Mentee
“It’s a safe place where I am safe to be myself each week”